Expired on: Nov 25, 2022
→ Apply before 25/11/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time)→ Faculty of Engineering and Architecture → Department: EA05 – Informatietechnologie → Occupancy rate:100% → Number of positions: 1 → Type of employment: Contract of unlimited duration with clause → Term of assignment: 3 → Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree) → Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITYGhent University (BE) is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students. The Hearing Technology @ WAVES lab of Prof. Verhulst (Dept. of Information Technology) follows an interdisciplinary approach to develop precision hearing diagnostics and augmented hearing technologies. The group has access to GPU computation clusters, as well as psychoacoustics and auditory physiology setups (waves.intec.ugent.be/hearing-technology, github/hearing-technology, @HearingTechLab) and routinely collaborates with other research groups within the department, as well as with the UZGent hospital through the Ghent Auditory Science Platform (gasp.ugent.be). YOUR TASKS
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research.
- We are presently recruiting an embedded machine-hearing research engineer in connection to the European Innovation Council Transition project EarDiTech. The project aims to bring recent scientific developments in precision hearing diagnostics and augmented hearing technologies to a higher TRL and eventually to patient and market. More information about the project can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/bdesys5k and www.cordis.europa.eu/project/id/101058278
- Building on your strong scientific expertise in machine learning for auditory signal processing and in embedded systems, your role is to implement and optimize augmented hearing algorithms for embedded hardware applications. This includes the fine-tuning and testing of hardware and software implementations for real-time sound processing that can improve hearing-aid restoration and perceptual aspects (e.g. sound quality) for older or hearing-impaired listeners. For this latter task, you will work together with other members of the EarDiTech team (including audio, EEG and embedded systems engineers and audiologists) to set up the necessary testing environment. You will make experiment and information-based decisions about the next development steps in the project and are expected to document your developments in standardized formats and code packages. You have a feel for commercialization and can communicate your developments to subcontractors, investors and non-experts to help bring our machine-hearing demonstrators to market.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate in the domain of engineering (Information Technology, Electronics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Biomedical), physics or mathematics with a topic related to audio signal processing and/or embedded signal processing (obtained max. 6 years ago. This term of 6 years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma).
- Scientifically, you master the topics of hearing-aid signal processing and/or embedded systems (FPGA, ASIC) and you understand dynamic nonlinear equations and models.
- Solid programming skills in signal processing (python, Matlab) and machine-learning (Keras, Pytorch) are expected. Knowledge of low level programming languages (C / HDL) to implement the design in embedded hardware strengthen your profile.
- You have basic knowledge of how to evaluate audio algorithms in objective or psychoacoustics experiments and know how to build embedded architectures based on the technical specifications of our applications or hardware constraints (e.g. real-time, parallel processing).
- You are a natural in communicating your work to different audiences (science, business, regulatory, end-users) and work well in a team.
- Excellent written and oral English skills are required, as evidenced by prior peer-reviewed publications or technical reports.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of indefinte duration with a maximum term of three years.
- There are good prospects of joining the foreseen EarDiTech spin-off at the end of this period and to become a member of a motivated entrepreneurial team that is determined to make a lasting impact in the augmented hearing field.
- Your contract will start on December 1st 2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1 depending on your prior work experience (https://www.ugent.be/en/work/talent/welcoming-new-staff/salaryscales/wpwm.htm).
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. More information: https://www.ugent.be/en/work/talent/welcoming-new-staff
INTERESTED? Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system. Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: Upload a document with the name and contact details of two persons who are willing to provide a reference.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB. As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
MORE INFORMATIONs.email@example.com). Important: do NOT send your application by email but apply online via https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=24927&company=C0000956575PFor more information about this vacancy, please email Prof. Sarah Verhulst with mention “EarDiTech” in the subject line. (
Do you have a question regarding the online application process? Please read our FAQ.
Job Category: Post-Doctoral Researcher
Sorry! This job has expired.