Alexa is the groundbreaking voice service that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice.
Our team is creating the science and technology behind Alexa. We’re working hard, having fun, and making history. Come join our team! You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience through design, architecture, and implementation of a cutting edge technology in the products used every day by people you know.We’re looking for a passionate, talented and inventive Applied Science Manager to lead a team of world-class scientists to build industry-leading conversational technologies that customers love. Our team’s mission is the enable Alexa to understand sounds and vocalization beyond speech. As an Applied Science Manager, you will
- Hire, coach and develop world-class scientists in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Develop technical vision and roadmaps for new initiatives
- Lead a team of talented scientists to work backward from customer experience and develop novel signal processing and machine learning solutions to advance the state of the art in voice technologies.
- Impact customer experiences through timely deliveries of innovative product solutions.
- Work with our talented scientists to dive deep and solve technical problems on a regular basis
- Work with the team to contribute and influence the signal processing and machine learning research outside Amazon
- Establish and enhance mechanisms to enable the team to innovate and deliver solutions in an agile and timely manner.
- Build strong relationship and collaborate with other teams across Alexa to deliver solutions effectively
- An Master degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field with 6+ years of relevant experience in signal processing, machine learning or a related field or a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field with 4+ years of relevant experience in signal processing, machine learning or a related field
- Familiar with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, or Python
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- A Ph.D. degree in audio, acoustic and speech signal processing or machine learning with a specialization in automatic speech recognition with 4+ year of relevant experience
- Track records in managing a team of scientists in a fast paced environment including hiring, coaching and developing scientists and manage their performance
- Strong track records in scientific publications
- Strong track records of delivering product solutions that impact customer experience
- Strong details-oriented problem solving skills
- Experience in developing technical vision and roadmaps for new initiatives
- Experience in leveraging mechanisms to enable the team to innovate and deliver solutions in an agile and timely manner.
- Experience in building strong relationship and collaborating with other teams to deliver solutions effectively
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/usAmazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Perspective candidates are encouraged to send their CVs to:
Tao Zhang, Ph.D.
Senior Manager of Applied Science