Facebook Reality Labs is developing future products in augmented reality and virtual reality with breakthrough work including computer vision, advanced optics, input and interaction, artificial intelligence, neuroscience, mapping the world, and redefining human hearing. As a Research Product Manager, you will work closely with research and product teams to define requirements for new-to-world experiences within augmented reality – changing the way we’ll work, communicate, and be entertained. Our team envisions, creates, incubates and transfers advanced technologies from research to product. Research product management roles span the boundaries of hardware/software systems, cloud services, interaction design, application experiences, and artificial intelligence with the opportunity to collaborate with both the brightest Ph.D. researchers in the field and pioneering product development teams. You will ramp up to multiple areas of unique, ground-breaking research and develop an understanding of their potential capabilities and limitations. You will develop a vision for multiple time horizons, including near, mid, and long-term. You will create technology transfer strategies, roadmaps, and prototype definitions that balance experience value versus technical feasibility versus business case. For some of your projects, success will be measured in the advancement of research and understanding of the future product design space. Other projects will significantly enhance products or create new product categories that ship to millions of customers. To succeed, you’ll partner closely with research science and product teams across the organization to develop new experiences that move us beyond state-of-the-art and contribute to human knowledge.
Product Manager, Research (Facebook Reality Labs) Responsibilities
- Develop scope, vision, and strategy for maturing a body of research toward product intersection.
- Define requirements and lead the development of prototypes that deliver a significant step forward in value of experience, research learning, or technology readiness.
- Partner with research science teams to inform long-term research agendas that have the greatest potential to create compelling product experiences.
- Develop relationships with product teams, providing valuable perspective into research, and identifying collaboration or tech transfer opportunities.
- Understand the landscape of external partners and work with business development to manage new and existing relationships, influence roadmaps, and bring promising tech into the lab.
- 5+ years of product management experience, including developing 0-to-1 value propositions.
- Engineering coursework or 3+ years experience in discipline (hardware, software, platform, AI/ML).
- Experience bringing structure to unstructured bodies of work, developing strategy, and adapting to change.
- Experience working in research or other development programs with very high ambiguity, technical complexity, risk, and multi-year timeline to maturity.
- Experience leading cross-company communication, collaboration, and influence of stakeholders.
- Relevant experience within the topic of research.
- Graduate or postgraduate coursework in business, engineering, or design.
- Experience taking an early stage technology and developing into commercial/consumer shipping product.
- Experience leading development of joint research science and product incubations of new technologies.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today—beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: US