Reality Labs Research (RL-R), Meta brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of augmented and virtual reality, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. And just as personal computers have done over the past 45 years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything about how we work, play, and connect. We are developing all the technologies needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR headsets, including optics and displays, computer vision, audio, graphics, brain-computer interfaces, haptic interaction, eye/hand/face/body tracking, perception science, and true telepresence. Some of those will advance much faster than others, but they all need to happen to enable AR and VR that are so compelling that they become an integral part of our lives. The audio team within RL-R is looking for an experienced, innovative research scientist with a broad set of skills in computational modeling and statistical analysis preferably in the context of audio or acoustics. In this position, you’ll develop advanced algorithms and computational modeling approaches to solve complex problems in the intersection between spatial audio personalization, acoustics and signal processing, to advance the state-of-the art technologies that will change the way we perceive spatial audio in the metaverse.
Research Scientist – ML Applications in Spatial Audio (PhD) Responsibilities
- Develop novel algorithms and computational models to solve complex problems at the intersection between spatial audio personalization, acoustics and data science with applications in augmented and virtual reality.
- Design and implement state-of-the-art audio/acoustics computational models and machine learning techniques on PyTorch, TensorFlow, or similar platforms.
- Lead the data collection and experimental design to acquire accurate and reliable datasets for computational model training/validation/testing.
- Collaborate with teams in the larger Reality Labs org and provide creative leadership on cross-team technologies.
- Collaborate with external academic groups to advance our research goals.
- Publish research results in top-tier journals and at leading international conferences.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a PhD in the field of applied mathematics, statistics, physics, acoustics, computer science, electrical engineering, deep learning, machine learning or related fields.
- 3+ years experience with development and implementation of machine learning or deep learning algorithms.
- 3+ years experience with scientific programming in C++, MATLAB, or Python.
- 3+ years experience with PyTorch, TensorFlow, or similar platforms.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Demonstrated experience implementing and evaluating working end-to-end prototypical learning systems.
- Proven success at working with physical models, their principles and processes.
- Experience with working on novel algorithm development for spatial audio personalization.
- Experience with acoustics, wave-equation and numerical simulation.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored top-tier conference publications or journal articles.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today—beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: US