Virtual conferencing: What are the benefits?
- Virtual Conferences are climate-friendly and COVID-19 proof.
- Bring young researchers an opportunity for explaining their work and get into touch with people doing similar research
- Virtual conferences are free or inexpensive. At a conventional conference, travel, registration, and hotel add to a large sum of money. Many cannot afford that.
- The technology is familiar and broadly available
- The participants are approachable.
Virtual socializing happens in coffee breaks at virtual and semi-virtual conferences. Any conference participant can contact any other participant. In open meetings, anyone can join any conversation. If people want private meetings, they can organize them themselves.
http://www.parncutt.org/virtualsocializing.htmlVirtual socializing at academic conferences